Supplements, who really needs them? Is the food I eat not enough? Is this just a sales gimmick to get me to spend money on a product?
Like you, years ago these thoughts swirled through my mind. As a medical professional, I did not receive nutritional training during my formal university education. You may be surprised to learn that medical doctors receive less than 25 hours training in nutrition, diet and supplements during their entire formal educational.
What changed for me?
As usually happens, it was a series of personal experiences. My husband Bill has chronic back pain after a serious spinal fracture in 1992 that almost left him a paraplegic. He has rods and screws in his back and has managed his chronic pain without any pharmaceuticals. Acupuncture, physical therapy, self-hypnosis, essential oil infused products are the tools he uses. He started seeing a functional medicine doctor who stated that although his B12 levels were in normal range, for someone in chronic pain it was ideal to have them at the high end of normal. So natural B12 (methylcobalamin) was started. Within a week of starting them, we were out dancing, and he noticed that his back pain had not flared up like it usually did after a night of dancing. Wow, the only change made was the addition of natural B12. My curiosity was sparked! Could a simple vitamin addition make that big a difference? The obvious answer was yes! I started doing research and learning more.
THE DILEMMA: They all sound great. Where do I start?
A system of core basic supplements seems like the logical place to start. A few simple options as a baseline program that everyone can benefit from. Something that would provide your body with building blocks so that major systems could function more optimally. Would you be excited to hear that such a simple protocol exists and has produced exceptional results in the people who have implemented it? For over 20 years I have taught this core basic supplement approach to thousands of people all over the world. I tracked the symptoms of a group of people, before, during and after taking these basic supplements over a 3-month period. The feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.
Do we need supplements?
A comparison of food from 1963 to 2000 shows a dramatic decrease in Vitamin A, Potassium, Magnesium, and Vitamin C in our food. Most studies show that a significant portion of our population is deficient in many major vitamins and minerals such as Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin A and C.
We have lost a lot of vitamin and mineral activity in our food, and this combined with our poor diet, results in the need to use supplements!
Everyday cells in our body die and are replaced by new cells. The number of cells replaced per day is the equivalent turnover of an adult human body every 18 to 24 months. If we do not have the proteins, amino acids, the relevant vitamins and minerals, and the Omega 3 fatty acids, diseases and suboptimal function will result!
We need high quality nutrients to make effective, healthy cells!
The best place to start is my core basic supplement program that covers Antioxidants, Omega3 fattys acids, Probiotics, Enzymes and Vitamin D3.
- High Quality Omega 3 Fatty Acid (Fish oil or Plant based Omega3): Every cell in your body relies on Omega 3 fatty acids to function properly. Your cell walls need to be pliable and allow nutrients in, toxins out and receptors to accept messages from hormones etc. Without Omega 3 supplements, these functions are impaired, and malfunction can occur in the nervous system, endocrine system, internal organs, skin etc.
IF your heart is beating you should be taking Omega 3!
- Vitamin D3: Research has shown that vitamin D significantly reduces death rate from all causes. Vitamin D deficiency is implicated in most of the diseases of modern civilization. Vitamin D regulates the expression of more about 3,000 genes throughout your body, including ones that influence your immune system to attack and destroy bacteria and viruses. Vitamin D3 is an inexpensive supplement. 5000 IU per day is recommended adult dose.
***Young Living OmegaGize3 contains Omega 3 Fatty Acids, Vit D3 and bioidentical CoQ10 (essential for heart health) Looking for a vegan Omega 3 option, Young Living Mindwise.
- High Quality Whole food Antioxidant: Antioxidants are compounds that help prevent free-radical damage. They reduce oxidative damage or “rusting” of tissue. Antioxidants have been shown to play an important role in disease prevention. Our favorite choice is Ningxia Red Juice. 2 oz or more per day is recommended.
- Digestive enzymes: take with every meal. MANY people are deficient in digestives enzymes, including children. Enzymes are needed to properly break down and assimilate our food. Results are usually felt quickly. Our favorite choice is Young Living Essentialzyme4 (Mightyzymes for children).
- Probiotics or friendly bacteria: These are VITAL to our immune system, and are depleted by many things (antibiotics, stress, processed food etc) Our favorite choice is Young Living Life 9 Probiotic or Mightypro probiotic (for adults or children, powder form). If you are avoiding dairy choose Mightypro. (Myth: Yogurt is NOT a good source of probiotics- low concentration, high sugar, dairy often not tolerated by many).
There are some great additions that can be added to this basic program to ramp up your general health support. Read about each one and tune into your intuition as to which is the best one to add in first.
- Complex multi-nutrient
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)
- Complex Vitamin B
- Greens formula
Let’s look at each one and the benefits they offer:
- Complex Multi Nutrient: My preferred product is Young Living Master Formula. Master Formula is a full spectrum, multi-vitamin and multi-mineral complex that helps support general health and well-being. By utilizing a Synergistic Suspension Isolation process – SSI Technology – ingredients are delivered in three distinct delivery forms, each chosen for their complimentary properties. Collectively, these ingredients provide a premium, synergistic complex to support your body.
Each pre-packaged sachet contains 1 liquid capsule, 1 caplet, and 2 capsules. The ideal mix of vitamins and minerals for adults, this high-quality complex is the perfect combination of multi-nutrients that support biological functions, playing a key role in the maintenance of good health.
The benefits of Master Formula are all-encompassing. It helps support a healthy immune system, maintains healthy bones, hair, nails and skin, while having a positive effect on energy metabolism, tissue formation, blood cell maintenance, cognitive function, muscle formation and so much more.
- MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) Young Living option Sulfurzyme. A combination of wolfberry and methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), a naturally occurring organic form of dietary sulfur needed by our bodies every day, Sulfurzyme® helps to relieve joint pain associated with osteoarthritis, and is a source of antioxidants that help protect the cells against free radicals. The benefits of the Sulfurzyme supplement include:
Helps to relieve joint pain associated with osteoarthritis.Helps to relieve the pain associated with osteoarthritis of the knee.Source of antioxidants that help fight and protect the cells against free radicals, helping reduce oxidative cell damage.
- Vitamin B complex: Young Living option Super B. Super B is a comprehensive multi-vitamin/multi-mineral complex containing all eight essential, energy-boosting B vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 and B12). It features Orgen-FA®, a natural folate source derived from lemon peels and methylcobalamin, a more bioavailable source of B12. Combined with Nutmeg essential oil and bioavailable chelated minerals such as magnesium, manganese, selenium, and zinc, Super B not only assists in maintaining healthy energy levels, but it also supports the normal function of the immune system, helps protect against oxidative stress caused by free radicals and much more. B vitamins are essential to our health and well-being, and each B vitamin performs a unique and separate function in the body. They must be replenished daily, since they are not stored in the body.
- Greens formula: Young Living MultiGreens™ is a nutritious chlorophyll formula designed to boost vitality by working with the glandular, nervous, and circulatory systems. MultiGreens is made with spirulina, alfalfa sprouts, barley grass, bee pollen, eleuthero, Pacific kelp, and YLTG essential oils. This power packed supplement provides a daily source of greens that can be used as a tool for energy to help get you through the day. MultiGreens helps to support proper liver function.It is a factor in the maintenance of good health.This unique supplement is a good source of antioxidants.It provides antioxidants that help fight and protect cells against/reduce free radicals as well as protects cells against the oxidative effect of and the cell damage caused by those free radicals. MultiGreens is a source of amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein in the body.In addition to its many other benefits, MultiGreens is also a helpful workout supplement.Whether you just want to feel your best or you are dealing with a chronic condition, it is imperative to provide your body with the core basic nutrition it needs to function and repair itself.Important, the information provided is for educational purposed only. It is not provided to diagnose, prescribe or treat any condition of the body. The information provided should not be used as a substitute for medical counseling with a health care professional. If you have any concerns regarding this information, please consult your health care professional.
|Between June 1-5, 2020, enjoy 10% off select supplements to support your optimal health and well-being all summer long.|